Monday, July 3
My All-Time Favorite Music Videos

(1) Babe by Take That

This is my most favorite video by my all-time favorite boyband, Take That. Mark Owen was on lead vocals as well as played the main character in the video. He portrayed a soldier coming home from war to find that he had a young son. I cried the first time I saw the video way, way back. That was then and now, with the ongoing war in the Middle East, the scenes in this video has become increasingly important and poignant through time.

(2) This I Promise You by N'Sync

I fell in love with the song long before the video came out. But then the Richard Marx, who produced the song, never disappoints in his works. But there's something about the different stories portrayed in this vid. And the group's forest scene was different from the usual black-and-white ballads scenes. One thing's for sure--when it comes to music vids, N'Sync always came up to par.

(3) Goodbye by the Spice Girls

What is it with goodbyes? Basically, there was no farewell scene in this one but considering the fact that this was the Spice Girls' first video as a foursome makes it one of their most memorable. From those huskies and Rolls Royces at the start of the video until the end, it shows a softer side of the girls. And lest I forget: Posh was pregant with Brooklyn in this one. How's that for a reason?

(4) Coming Home Now by Boyzone

Through the years, Boyzone has made numerous vids and if I really wanted to this list would be full of them. But only this one sticks out the most for me. The group was still young (the single being from their first album), still looking fresh and far from the superstar aura they would later have. There was also something about the scenes of them walking the streets of Dublin that always make me think back to the days prior to boyband frenzy.

(5) I Don't Want to Miss a Thing by Aerosmith

This is a no brainer. Armageddon is my all-time favorite movie so it's only natural that I would like something from its soundtrack. Never having the chance to witness the heyday of Aerosmith, I was more than grateful for this offering. One of music history's greatest rock and roll bands in a futuristic setting equals an explosive hit!

(6) Thinking of You (Drive Myself Crazy) by N'Sync

As I've said, N'Sync has a knack about making videos. This single was one of the group's earlier hits and was also an instant hit for me the first time I saw it. We rarely see ballads portrayed in crazy videos like this one--and with a funny twist to boot. And guys in straightjackets or in padded rooms because of love? Cute!

(7) Graduation (Friends Forever) by Vitamin C

At a time when artists (and labels) wanted to be a part of the Y2K and the Millenium craze, this Vitamin C vid was a breath of fresh air. The storyline in it was great, the featured couple were hot (tsss!) and the vivid, bright colors of high school made a bittersweet backdrop especially to newly graduated high school students (which I happened to be when the single came out). 'As we go on, we remember...'

(8) There You'll Be by Faith Hill

The studios might have been disappointed by Pearl Harbor's performance in the box office but Faith Hill scored a big hit in this single. Diane Warren knows hot to put the words together (but that's a different story) and when sung by one of country's greatest: Another chart-topper, hands down. The war backdrop was good and Faith Hill (whom I've never seen look bad on screen or in print) was even better. Tim McGraw is one lucky guy!

(9) Leaving on a Jet Plane by Chantal Kreviazuk

Who said that you really need a big budget to create a blast of a video? This had Chantal Kreviazuk playing the piano in a studio with Armageddon on the reel in the background. Who would ask for more? So, okay. I'm probably biased because this is part of the soundtrack of that movie again. But I must say that it might not have had the same impact if it were made another way.

(10) Let Love Lead the Way by the Spice Girls

The Spice Girls and the elements. The concept of the video showed a much, much more sophisticated and grown-up members of the group. Obviously, there were no more table-dancing and no more platform shoes. This video was their last and for me, one of the best. I don't know if they can score a comeback--not just the four, but all five together--but nevertheless, they've made their mark in history. Girl Power indeed!

(Originally posted at The Kookie Jar.)

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home