Monday, July 3
Armageddon

Weather and technical problems keep pushing Discovery's launch date back--that's been on the news for days now. I was thinking, what if this happened in the movie Armageddon? What then? Will they still risk it? And I woke up. Hello?! It was just a movie. There are no weather or technical problems in movies unless they are in the plot. Duh!

I admit, I've seen the movie so many times it's like it actually happened. Right. As if NASA would send a bunch of rednecks into space to save the Earth. Boo-hoo! But this is my blog so I can say anything I damned well want to. So let me say this now: Armageddon is the best movie ever! The one that will take it's place in my all-time faves list has not been created yet--or maybe not ever.

Not a lot of people agree with me but I don't care. Saving the world has never been fun than in this one. And the President's speech before lift off, although not up to par to Patton's opening, was great--you can never hear that anywhere else these days. Trust me.

Saving the world is always a great plot. But when you put a touchy family story in it, it makes one helluva movie. Bruce Willis makes an amazing out-of-touch (and not so mature) dad in this. For me, this has been his best movie since Die Hard. Liv Tyler gave a beautiful performance in this flick. I mean, if those beautiful eyes start to brim with tears and you don't feel like crying, I have four words for you: 'You're made of stone!' And don't forget Ben Affleck. Ben, Ben, Ben. He's just amazing from the oil rig to the cracker scene to the part where Harry (Willis) took his place as the one to be left on the asteroid to detonate the bomb. Nothing melts hearts more than a hunk in tears.

All in all, characters were played to a tee that it's difficult to imagine that Steve "Rockhound" Buscemi isn't really a genius. And the cosmonaut who thought that Evil Knievel was from Star Wars? He gave me one very memorable line: 'American components. Russian components. All made in Taiwan!' Ain't that the truth, buster!

If you've not seen the movie, you're nuts! If you have and didn't like it, you might wanna see it again just in case you missed something. If you really don't like it, no big deal. We're not leaving you on the asteroid. For those who did like it, I might be having my dose of the movie this weekend so call me if you're free.

(Originally posted at The Kookie Jar.)

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home