Monday, July 24
The Prince & Me
Thank God for cable TV. I just saw the movie there the other day and I remembered that I wasn't able to blog about it the first time I saw it last year. So here goes.

Good movie. It's not exactly uber great but it definitely was not a waste of my time. If you know me then you'd know that I love romances. That goes especially true when royalty is involved. I practically hunt for these books and I just gobble (there's no better word for it) them all up like mad. The movie gave me the chance to have a break from the reading but at the same time still enjoy a good story. And we're not just talking about any royal peerage but a Crown Prince who became King.

Luke Mably played Prince Edward of Denmark--who went to rural Wisconsin to 'find himself' which really meant to get away from the constant attention of the paparazzi. I liked the accent, and the near-pale but ruddy complexion was very Prince Harry. Julia Stiles was Paige Morgan--who was a John Hopkins hopeful bent on saving the world. Julia never fails that's why I love her movies--and there's just no not liking her.
So while 'Eddie' rusticated, he and Paige fell in love. Then he had to go back to his country; but not before he was outed by the paparazzi. Hence the best point of the story (IMHO)--how strong a character Paige was. It takes a lot of guts to go after a prince--the Crown Prince!--but she did it. And when it was almost all said and done, she opted out to follow her dreams and be her own woman. But the new King was prepared to let her be that, as long as she wasn't far from him. Of course, if you're Queen no one can tell you you can't be a doctor, too.

We grew up on fairy tales and on believing in them. But when we get older, reality starts to sink in--and reality tells us that fairy tales are nothing but lies. But what the heck, do you really believe that? Because if you do, then you don't believe in finding your Prince Charming and living your happy ever after. And that's sad. Because it's highly likely that your Prince Charming is just waiting for you so he could make a truth of his fairy tale. Fancy that.

Labels:



5 Comments:

Blogger Rowena said...

I like this movie, I thought Eddie was a cutie patootie and Paige wasn't so bad either, I'm a chicky lala though, a romantic at heart and I see that we have read a lot of the same books (from your library thing), gotta love it!

I heard that the second movie isn't as good as this one though...so you might want to beware of that one.

Blogger Grace said...

Ooh I like this one too. Like both of you, I'm a chicky lala through and through so I'll never turn away from reading or watching romance books/movies. I just love it!!

This one was very cute. I liked how we saw Eddie grow up from the party boy to someone who considered more than just his problems and their consequences, but his country's. And it was very nice to see Paige have a hand in that.

What was even better was that neither had to sacrifice who they were, to be with the other. I liked how Paige continued with her own dreams (although, I had a yes/no attitude about her leaving, LOL) and yet, still got the boy in the end. Very nice indeed.

Blogger Kookie said...

The leaving bit was somewhat of a surprise, really. I was thinking, what the heck, girl? But she did get the boy at the end. Everybody wins! (especially the chicky lalas) :)

Blogger Rowena said...

I know, everybody wins in our books and movies which is probably why we read them...and watch them, unless the movies are Tristan & Isolde and Troy, then never mind...LOL.

Hey Kookie, have you seen Green Street (I think that's what it's called in the UK, here it's Green Street Hooligans), but have you seen it and what do you think of it? It'd be cool to hear how a British person liked it, because I absolutely loved it and so did everyone else out here that's seen it.

Blogger Kookie said...

Yeah, I have seen Green Street Hooligans--just last weekend. I loved it, too! Very realistic although for people who have no idea just how big football is (like my sister), it would seem overboard.

Post a Comment

<< Home