Tuesday, August 8
Quick Reviews
I haven't been to the video store in a while so it was only natural to practically raid it the first chance I got. There were some movies that were surprisingly good; while some didn't live up to the hype.

--Tristan + Isolde

I wasn't familiar with this story so I was pretty excited when I got my hands on this one. After all, my sister was gushing about it after she saw it in the cinema a while back. And now I'm glad I didn't go on her recommendation. I mean, it was fine at the start because the period piece thingie is always a big thing for me. But when Isolde (Sophia Myhles) got married, it went downhill from there for me. Infidelity, adultery, and the rest of their lot just turn me off--whether I find it in a book or a movie, whether it's fictional and most especially when it's not.
Saving grace: James Franco. Because, well, he's hot James Franco.

--Eight Below
Mixing Paul Walker with those huskies was absolutely lethal! I love dogs and watching the kind of ordeal that those guys went through was heartbreaking. It was impossible for all eight to have survived but I would have preferred the story to have ended that way. Although it was wonderful enough that there were six left. And Mr Walker was hot (as usual) even in frigid Antarctica.
Verdict: Will watch it again and again.

--Casanova

I was hankering for this one since I so loved its trailer. But it took so long to get to the local theaters. And then I found out their run was over. It only showed for a week--and justifiably so. The visual FX were too rough and the plot was kinda weak.
Chemistry: Definitely lacking between Heath Ledger (Casanova) and Sienna Miller (Francesca Bruni).

--Nanny McPhee
Another movie that turned me off from having children--especially more than one. It will be an absolute nightmare. Although the movie came short of my expectations, it was still a good one. I liked the colorful sets and costumes. Outrageously funky! But I personally don't want to see Colin Firth in a father role in a while yet.
My own ending: The father should have married Nanny McPhee!

--Aeon Flux

And there goes the curse of Oscar! Well, that's what they said but I thought the movie was kinda nice even if the genre wasn't my favorite. It didn't exactly have the wallop that other sci-fi movies have but the Charlize Theron stunts make good company for popcorn. And there was a love story, too.
Look for: the Stuart Townsend cameo.

--Brokeback Mountain
Olive still cannot get through the whole thing without turning the player off. What's up with that, girl? And boys (I can't call them men for this very reason) getting grossed out by the movie was just ludicrous. I bet they have the exact opposite reaction on lesbo scenes when the truth of the matter is: this movie has more soul than five regular love stories put together.
Shoutout: Grow up, people. And then watch this one.

--Green Street Hooligans

As a football fan, I thought I had an idea about hooliganism. Then a friend who's currently in England told me how absurd the situation really is. So when I saw this flick, everything clicked right into place. Although it wasn't a surprise at all because footy fans are passionate about their sport. Charlie Hunnam was hot but I still have to unFrodize Elijah Wood.
Afterthought: I hope I will have the chance not to wear the ManUtd jersey other than at old Trafford when I wake up and find myself in England one of these days.

--Reeker
Even if I hate horror movies, I do rent out one from time to time for the peeps at home. As usual, the general plot in this one was just the same with the rest of all the gazillion horror flicks out there. The antagonist here was a reeking spectre who, well, kills. I dunno what was the point of that exactly. Did that make him any worse than the other serial killers who didn't reek before they went for the kill? Suffice to say it stunk like the title. And I'm embarrassed to say that I crushed on Scott Whyte when he was on Mighty Ducks 2 and seeing his name on the cover was the reason I chose this one over the other available 'scary movies.'
Scott Whyte: Was a bloated disappointment.

--When A Stranger Calls

I have seen Camilla Belle in two previous movies and think that she's hot. She's a great actress and a beautiful kid, too. Here, she was all grown and did a convincing job as a scared babysitter trying to brave out some scary calls. I pretty much enjoyed the movie until the end proved to be an uber anticlimax.
Fallout: With the caller's ubiquity during the runaround, what turned out to be a lack of character history and build-up left me breathless--with disappointment.

Labels:



4 Comments:

Blogger Rowena said...

Hey, I LOVED Green Street Hooligan, it was crazy but I thought it was a good movie.

And I LOVED Tristan and Isolde, I hated the lying and the cheating and stuff, but I thought the movie itself was a great one, one that made me cry buckets in the movie theater and then rush out to buy when it came out on DVD, if only Isolde was jsut honest from the beginning, my heart couldn't take much of this movie, it was all over the place. But I still loved this movie, James Franco is a stud!

I really enjoyed 8 Below too, that's one that I took my daughter to see and we both cried in it...I thought it was a good family movie and Paul Walker was one hella fine Jerry..LOVE HIM!

And Nanny McPhee, this movie was crazy, it was cute though...and yeah she knows exactly how I feel, there are that many kids in my family and they all drive me up the wall...

Great list of movies you got here, good on ya sweets!

Blogger Kookie said...

I agree about 8 Below being a staple one for the family...I did watch it with them. We were all so quite during most parts of the movie because most of us were already tearing up. But it was a fantastic one!

Blogger Rowena said...

I know, who was your favorite dog? I really loved Mya...and Old Jack? NOOOOOOOO, I liked him!

Blogger Kookie said...

I loved Max...the bad dog that wasn't. :o)

Post a Comment

<< Home