Tuesday, August 15
Boybands Suck!
Gotcha!

Of course not. I just felt like saying that. It's all wishful thinking for me to be able to say that in all honesty. And it took me hearing three straight boyband ballads on the radio to pen down these boyband thoughts. I've been meaning to say something about
the topic ever since two Sundays ago. But I was in too much of a funk (about the topic) to do something about it.
So two Sundays ago was when I saw the TT special on Star World, Take That For The Record. Of course, it was done several months back because I do know that TT had a comeback tour of some sort earlier this year. Well, it wasn't really a comeback tour but (was supposed to be) a formal bid of farewell after their abrupt breakup more than ten years ago. (But they are back in the studio doing songs again. Yey!) The said breakup was naturally the focal point of the show as the four remaining members of the group--Gary, Mark, Jason and Donald--go on the record of what really was the lowdown of their disbandment. I can't imagine how true blue Thatters fans reacted to the show but for me (who only became a fan of he group in 1995 and learned that Robbie had left the group only a couple of months later), it definitely answered a lot of questions.

Two months of being a fan of Take That as an original fivesome wasn't much. But they happen to be my most fave boyband even up to now. They didn't have fancy dance moves like N'Sync or Billboard-topping singles like the Backstreet Boys. And I know that boyband fans of the later '90s would definitely call them hokey--the Pinoys would've have aptly described them as jologs. But they were a phenomenon in Britain--no doubt sparked the birth of many other groups such as Boyzone or the Spice Girls. Seeing their video for "Back for Good" most likely initiated me to pop culture because I can't remember ever seeing so much MTV prior to that.

For me, they set the bar for everyone else who followed. My all-time fave song is by them--"Holding Back The Tears"--and their Nobody Else album is still one of my most played tapes (yes, tapes). And I still get goosebumps whenever I hear their "Never Forget" single, released coincidentally with
Robbie's leaving the group.

Yes, Robbie--who has entertained the world with his solo hits like "Angel" and "Rock DJ," whose own greatest hits album is no doubt the soundtrack of my life. That Robbie. It was disappointing that he didn't meet up with the other guys for For The Record. I guess it was enough that he actually agreed to be interviewed for it and even aired his dirty laundry--how his depression and drinking affected his work leading to the other four to confront him, then eventually have that confrontation as the last time for the five of them to be in one room at the same time. Tiffany whispered to me that Robbie prolly thinks he didn't really need to meet with the guys because after all, he's bigger than Take That was in the global scale. I half agree with her but hope that isn't true.
Nevertheless, the show was a greatly needed closure. At least now I won't be wondering Why? when I listen to TT's greatest hits album. Other successful boybands should take a leaf from these lads and give a proper farewell before they disappear into thin air. No matter how late it is. They owe it to their fans, at least. (Hear that, N'Sync?)

Labels: ,



4 Comments:

Blogger Rowena said...

I've never heard of this band before, but I'm just an American though, I was all about Nsync when they were out and I'd like a reunion album by them, I'm not really mad that they're not making one, I love Justin as a single artist, but then again, I'll always love Justin period...LOL.

I'll have to check out those songs you mentioned in this post, is that Robbie Williams?

Blogger Kookie said...

I know. They were not that famous outside of Europe and when they were about to really hit it bigtime was when Robbie split. Yes, it is Robbie Williams.

Justin is kinda cute these days--love, love Sexy Back--especially if the name Cameron Diaz does not come to mind. I loved JC in the N'Sync heyday though.

Blogger Rowena said...

Oh see, it was all about Justin for me from the get go, I'm a year older than him but I didn't give a rats ass, I loved me some JT...hehe, I could tell you anything you wanted to know about Justin...LOL.

OH okay, I see now, it's the same Robbie Williams then...he's a bit weird for my tastes, but to each his own...:D:D

Blogger Kookie said...

I know. Robbie is not a bit weird...he's bigtime weird! But I love his music though...and he also happens to be a huge ManUtd fan and a good friend of Becks. :o)

Post a Comment

<< Home