Saturday, September 23
Failure To Launch
I was never a fan of Sex and the City and the few times I watched some of its eps were solely to kill time. So I really had my doubts if I would last this entire movie without getting bored because as you can tell, I am not exactly a fan of SJP--that's me versus the entire world.

But I really enjoyed this film. I was surprised at how much. Well, not really. Was Bradley Cooper reason enough? For me, he was. But it wasn't just him, it was the whole package that blew me away.


Paula (Sarah Jessica Parker) was hired by Tripp's (Matthew McConaughey) parents in a bid to make him want to move out of their house. Apparently, failure to launch is when a guy fails to flee the coop well past after they were supposed to. Obviously, Tripp's par
ents were not happy about the situation. It was really an intriguing concept because in Filipino culture, parents try to "hold on" to their kids for as long as possible. Some even want them not to move out even after they get married. Not that I approves of that but that's just how it goes. I say Paula's job was one of a kind--pretending to be in a relationship with guys who had failed to launch up to the point when they want to move out and live on their own. Without them knowing, she was actually helping them build their self-esteem and self-confidence as well. I think this was really a tough job.

And when she had to work on someone as hot and charming as Tripp, the job just got tougher. This time around, she went beyond what was supposed to do--and slept with the subject. In the clients' home. Awkward!


So they fell in love. Unfortunately, she was found out by one of his friends, Ace (Justin Bartha) and hell broke loose. (Computer genius Ace's romance with Paula's cynical and jaded best friend Kit (Zooey Deschanel) was fun to watch.) But then their friends realized that they were made for each other, so they worked to have them in one room. Trapped that way, Paula opted to explain her part while Tripp listened. Of course, when one was tied down to a chair with his mouth taped, what else can one do but listen?


Lemme just say though that what happened to Matthew McConaughey's character was probably also due to his mother's part in babying him. Doing his laundry and breakfasts at that age? C'mon. I've done my own laundry since I was 11 and although I'm still living at home, no one in our house has ever been waited hand and foot like that. That has helped a lot during those times I had to live in boarding houses when school, and then work, required me to.


Failure to Launch
was a beautifully made picture about friendship and unexpected love. If you haven't seen it, you really ought to. Soon.

Labels:



5 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

I keep meaning to see this, but I haven't yet. Thanks to your great review, though, I'm going to bump it up on my Netflix que. :)

Blogger Mailyn said...

LOL you aren't the only one. I never liked Sex and the City and I don't care for SJP either. Then again it's all cuz I hate chick flicks so yeah. LOL. But you are not alone in that SatC thing! :-)

Blogger ~ames~ said...

I watched this in the theater and only rented it so I could watch the scenes with Zooey in them. I love her, I think she's hilarious!

That scene in the gun store? I couldn't stop laughing. Telling that gun guy he's going to be on her list, and he's thinking she's trying to kill herself. LOL

Blogger Rowena said...

I so want to see this movie now, good on ya sweets!!! I'm not a big SJP fan though...never really watched Sex in the City even though I keep telling Grace that I will...hehe...

Blogger Kookie said...

Yey! So it's not me vs. the entire world, huh? Glad to hear that, girls.

Right-o, Ames! Kit was the bomb...and poor, poor hummingbird.

Even if you're not an SJP fan, I still recommend this one. Because, girls, you are not gonna regret seeing the hot guys in it! But really, it is a good movie.

Post a Comment

<< Home