Monday, September 11
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
It wasn't a question of whether I wanted to see the movie or not. Considering I have seen the first two installments, I almost felt obligated to watch this one. I may not know how to drive but I like fast cars. Duh! I watch F1 races on TV and know who Danica Patrick is.

I wouldn't have minded if Mr Baby Blues, Paul Walker, starred in this picture. Minded? Hell, no! But of course, I have no problem with giving way to young blood.


Lucas Black was okay in this one, I guess. But I liked him more in Friday Night Lights. His character, Sean Boswell, was a crazy dude. The first sequence had him in a race where he ran his car through houses under construction. For that, his mother had to bail him out of jail by doing a cop. Just stupid. So then she sent him to his father, a Marine stationed in Tokyo. And what does he do the first chance he got? After the old man told him to stay away from racing, he stupidly accepted to race the Drift King and wrecked someone else's car!

And I didn't like his love interest, played by Nathalie Kelley. Her Neela looked and felt too fragile, and the character was somehow out of place. If you'd seen the first two movies and the girls in them, you'd know what I mean. And I was hating the villain, the Drift King, so I guess he was doing a good job...until his uncle, the Yakuza boss, confronted him about their "territory collection" discrepancies. He got teary eyed and it was not a nice touch. I got into the movie enough to feel bad when Sun Kang's character, Han, got killed. But since he was screwing the Yakuza, it was bound to happen sooner or later. He did a good job in training Sean do the drift though.

I've been hacking the movie so you can tell I didn't really like it. But there were three saving graces. One, the special effects were great. They might not have been as much of a novelty as before but each Furious movie has something different in them so they still have a Whoa! factor. Two, Bow Wow. Twinkie just cracked me up with his facial expressions, especially when he and Sean picked up his car. He looked so excited and it turned out that his car looked as far from a race car as it could be. And he was also an enterprising young American--capitalism in action. Three, the Vin Diesel cameo. It was so unexpected that I, uhm...giggled. That which you're never supposed to do when watching a fast-car movie such as this.

The reason I was not feeling much of the movie was that it looked too familiar. I had seen the Japanese film Initial D earlier this year. Although I can't remember reading "drift" somewhere in the subtitle, that was definitely what they were doing. They might even have shot on the same hill--or maybe it's the only place to do the Tokyo drift.

I don't recommend this if you feel like watching just any film. But if you are looking for the odd guy movie for the weekend, this'll do nicely. Check out the soundtrack while you're at it.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home