Saturday, August 4
(Supposed) Feel-Good Movies
I may have been a negligent blogger lately but the movie maniac in me haven't been left wanting in the past couple of weeks or so. And I actually had the chance to finally watch three of the movies that I've been wanting to see for months.

Because I Said So
I was expecting big things from this movie. I mean, what do you expect when you have Diane Keaton, Mandy Moore, Piper Graham, and Lauren Graham in one movie, right? But the movie turned out to be one big MEH. The character of a meddling mother could be a novelty but the way Ms Keaton's character went to extremes to find the perfect man for her daughter just scared the heck outta me. Trust me, I know the feeling of having the people around me feel more desperate than I am about my love life. Or my lack of it. And then there was Ms Moore's character--stringing two men along will never ever be classy. And sleeping with two men while waiting to see who the right and better man will never be a stylish thing.

Catch And Release
It's always to nice to have the chance to see Jen Garner not play the superspy or the superhero. So I took the chance to see this the first time I had. And once again, I found the film wanting. Jen was A-okay and found that Kevin Smith (of the Silent Bob fame) can actually talk. But then Timothy Olyphant's acting kept me wincing the entire flick. I know a lot of people actually liked this movie but I don't think there could ever be a happy-ever-after for this plot: fiance dies and months later (or was it just mere weeks?), girl falls in love with one of her ex's best friends only to find out that the the other best friend was also in love with her from the very start...blah blah blah.

Aquamarine
After watching the last two films, I was quite hesitant to watch this movie. I may not have watched a lot of mermaid movies but I think I might have seen one too many. But Tiff told me to just go ahead and see it--a third bad movie couldn't kill me. And thank God for it because I actually liked this. Who would have thought a mermaid flick could actually present a more realistic take on love and friendship? This film showed that love doesn't always happen at first, or even at fifth, sight; and that it happens out of growing together and knowing each other. And more importantly, that it takes more than distance to end a friendship. Watching Jojo and Emma Roberts onscreen made me wish I was young again and have them for my best friends.

Labels:



2 Comments:

Blogger Rowena said...

Dang and I really wanted to see those first two movies....dangit! I watched and bought the last flick for my daughter and I watched it with her and liked it well enough but it's not like the best thing since sliced bread or anything.

Blogger Kookie said...

I know. But it was way better than the other two. Ugh!

Post a Comment

<< Home