Saturday, November 25
The Da Vinci Code
Finally! I was able to see the film and I'm glad that I did. More likely because I really wanted to have my say about it. But mostly because I really, really loved the book.

And the reason I didn't watch it when it was in the cinemas was because I was afraid my opinion of it would be affected by the critiques of others. Some said that it was okay, some said it didn't come up to par. To top it off, there was too much to-do about it and I was pretty sure my opinion would be affected by that alone--I know from experience that 80% of films with huge promotional works usually fall short of expectations. So, I decided to wait. And the moment I found this at the video shop, I wasted no time to watch it.


It was a good movie, even a great one. It even felt like I hadn't read the book because it still surprised me in some parts. *Snickers* That's probably because I told myself to totally forget the book and just watch the movie version as a totally separate entity. That way, I wouldn't end up comparing each frame to each page. Thankfully, it worked for me.
Although I admit that Tom Hanks is one of the greatest actors to ever walk this Earth, I am not one of his biggest followers. But I loved his Dr. Robert Langdon. Some people said that the character came out aloof. I say: He pulled off a distant persona and yet still made Langdon likeable. Aloofness is probably some people's twisted interpretation of the character's stoicism. And Hanks did a two-thumbs-up job! Audrey Tautou was great, too. I think she's just too cute though for her role. I mean, she was too cute to look like an agent and a cryptographer, even an amateur one. But I'm sure that added to the allure of her character.

Now, there was Sir Ian McKellen as Sir Leigh Teabing. He did an excellent job--as usual. If one hasn't read the book or hasn't had any idea as to who his character really was, one wouldn't really know what he was up to. I was somehow confused as to how to react to his latest character though. Being Gandalf in the
LOTR trilogy, he will always have my almost-worshipful admiration. But the last movie I've seen of him was X-Men 3: The Last Stand--and I always thought Magneto funny. Blame the barmy costume! And Paul Bettany made one heck of a scary Silas. The character was already scary in the book so seeing him do all the scary stuff on the screen was freaky.

So no, the movie wasn't okay. It was amazing! Although I don't wanna talk about the plot since it was controversial enough. But I have to say that I love, love the idea. And if its prequel Angels and Demons does get produced, I definitely will watch it on the big screen. After all, I loved it even more than the
Code itself.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home