Wednesday, November 22
Pacman Fever--It Ain't Over!
I may pride myself with being a sports aficionada but I have never been a big fan of boxing. Fact is, I still am not. But I have become a fan of Manny Pacquiao and I haven't missed any of his recent matches yet--especially all three against Mexican Eric Morales. Last weekend was no different.

I intended to write about the event a few days back, before matchday. But I changed my mind, thinking that the Pacman fever will be over and done with in a few days. I should have known then that that wouldn't be the case. Days before the big day, all I heard on the commute home was: "...yada, yada, yada...Pacquiao...blah, blah, blah...Sunday...yada, yada...Morales...bet on...blah, blah...knockout...hmm...on round what...yada..." Now, four days after the fight (well, technically, it has only been three days since in Philippine time), it's still all people can talk about. People can't just seem to stop talking about it. I really couldn't blame them. After all, it puts a smile on their faces in a way talking about the Philippine economy or politics could and would never do.


So on Sunday noon (Saturday night, Vegas time), Pacman once again put the Philippines on the map. Hmm, more like, he cemented its place on the boxing map. I felt so proud of him; of showing that hard work, determination and showing a lot of heart do pay off. He might not be a household name to non-hardcore boxing followers (that's usually the case reserved for the heavyweight class boxers) but he is already a big name on the boxing world. And that's long way from the rising star I first saw fight way, way back when I was in college. He could barely speak Tagalog then--his native tongue being Cebuano/Visaya, like yours truly. Now, he speaks English. Hot diggity damn! Understandably, he doesn't speak flawless English but at least, he learned it. Unlike Morales, who hasn't bothered. Why not learn the language when the US is just over the fence, amigo? I don't get it.

Last Sunday started well and good. I was supposed to apartment-hunt for the better part of the day but there's no way I'm gonna miss the fight so I went home just in time to have an early lunch with my sister before plopping down in front of the TV. But the undercard fights seemed to take forever so my sister decided to apartment-hunt instead and asked to be text messaged on the match's result. But, of course, she shouldn't have had left so soon.
Because, oops! to all who bet on Morales or spent good money to watch him finally down Pacquiao, the whole thing was over a few seconds short of three complete rounds. When El Terible went down for the third time, I couldn't help but feel bad for him. But what the heck, that was what he got for having a big mouth. At least, he is no longer spouting about making this into a four-match saga. But he did make good money from this fight. (While our neighbor lost PhP80,000 for betting on him. Granted, it's not much in dollars. But it's not pocket change either.)

But everything was worth it for everyone who was on the Pacman's side. I watched the thing thrice! Thank God for PPV though because with the delayed telecasts from the other two channels that covered the event, the commercial breaks were the main event.


There are still news shorts about what happened Saturday night in Las Vegas. And more are still coming when the Philippines'
Pambansang Kamao (National Fist) comes home later this week. I can already imagine what the reception of his return would be like--or maybe not. Or maybe so--gauging from the larger-than-life personality he has become. If his fight night practically cleared the traffic off both Philippine highways and back roads; hosted thousands of Pinoys in cinemas around the country; brought together Filipino communities abroad--then yes, you can imagine what the homecoming of this latest sporting hero will be like.

I absolutely hope he remains the down-to-earth, almost-shy, always-funny celebrity like he has always been--totally unaffected by his celebrity status, in fact. And I hope he doesn't get mixed up with politics like what the gossip mill has said in the last few months. I just am not a huge fan of the celebrity-turned-politician cliche. It disappoints 99% of the time.

For now, props to Pacman. God always blesses those who never asks for anything for themselves but for what they can give to others. Thanks for making the country proud, for giving the country an opportunity to have something to be proud of in the first place. Kudos!

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home