Wednesday, March 14
300
Damn the critics. I almost didn't see this movie. But since I've been waiting for this film since November, there was no way I'm gonna miss it.

And I'm glad that I did see it. I didn't enjoy Sin City but this Frank Miller creation really got me going. LOL!

The sight of half-naked men during the entire freakin' movie was really something to remember. So I'm sure to get a copy of the film as soon as I can so that I won't have to do with just remembering. Hell, no.


But the whole thing was a great movie experience. The visual effects were amazing and the comic-book feel to it only added to the appeal of the film
. Gerard Butler, as King "Tonight we dine in hell" Leonidas, may not win an Oscar for his performance here but I really think he did his role exceeding well.

As for those metal-clashing, blood-splattering, head-rolling scenes--sheesh, I didn't know I'm such a warfreak of sorts--I really enjoyed those. I never thought they were morbid. Rather, I thought they were brilliantly done. And that hard metal soundtrack during those battle scenes? That did me in when I was watching the trailers but hearing it and putting it together with the rest of the film was out of this world.

One thing that put me off, at times, was the narrator. It was unnecessary in some parts, I think. But since it was part of the graphic novel thingie (LOL! forgive me), it has to be in it. But it never detracted charm from the movie. And most of the film did leave some great impressions. One of my most favorite scenes was the Persian arrow shower (so what if I wanna call it that?), when the Spartans stayed underneath their shields for protection and warfreaks that they were, they started laughing because they were really
enjoying the thrill of being in battle. Another one would be the scene right before that--when they terminated the Persians when they first faced each other. Amazing choreography. Seeing the phalanx formation (albeit altered for movie purposes according to the director to "look cool") was actually quite nice--I've often wondered what it really looked like in action since world history high school. Now I have a vague idea.

Awesome in three characters: 3-0-0. I highly recommend it.


ON A SIDENOTE

One of the main reasons why I was so excited to see
300 was knowing Rodrigo Santoro was gonna be in it. Although now I regretted not researching on that further. Because I still have not reconciled this:

...from this:

Maybe not ever.

But I guess that's what movie magic is all about.

Labels:



3 Comments:

Blogger Kookie said...

Thanks and correctamundo, Zeek! That's definitely the guy in Lost...and he looked so yummylicious in Love, Actually, too! He also apeared in that uber-expensive Chanel No. 5 ad of Nicole Kidman in '04...try checking out YouTube on that one.

And this time, I agree--we need to definitely see more of him! ;o)

Blogger Aiai said...

Hey Ads... I didn't watch 300 because of I thought it was too "pang lalake" kind of movie...

But you know what? One reason I want to watch it is because of Rodrigo Santoro! =] I saw an HBO (or was it Cinemax or AXN?) feature on 300 and he was sooo handsome! And yeah, he looks totally different as Xerxes. =/

Remembering that we watched movies [worth seeing] together almost every Wednesday back in Cebu and that you highly recommend this film, I now WANT to watch 300.

Blogger Kookie said...

It was as action-packed as they come so you can say that it was definitely pang lalake...but with all those bare chests? Daym, that was like a day at the candy store! Hahaha! So yeah, this film is highly recommended by moi so you ought to watch it while it's still in the theaters 'cause the experience won't be the same in small screen. Trust me. :p

Miss you, too, Ai!

Post a Comment

<< Home