Thursday, June 14
Three Summer Movies Down
And a helluva lot more left to watch.
Why can't they just spread out the great ones during the entire year? Why do most good movies have to come out at around the same time? And then we'd be lucky to have at least one or two stray good ones the rest of the year. Not to mention that it's difficult to schedule them all in the space of just a few months. And damn if I can seriously review them all of them together except for these quickie ones I'm about to do. Shame!

Spiderman 3
Who'd have thought that I'd finally get myself to the cinemas and watch a Spidey film? I never did bother with the first two but since someone gave away free tickets, why not?
And I didn't regret it. Although I doubt if it will make it to my most fave films, it was actually a nice movie. Okay. It was great. (Or maybe that's just the free ticket talking.) Seriously, I quite enjoyed the whole thing. At least Peter wasn't his ultra-good boy self during the entire length of the film. I had a good laugh during his Fall-Out-Boy transformation. That was definitely a high point.
And then there's James Oh-La-La Franco. He thankfully had a bigger role in this story. Unfortunately, that led him to him getting killed right at the end. Party pooper! This had better be the last Spidey film 'cause it just wouldn't be right without his character in it. (No matter that he had assholeish tendencies.)
Plus: I love Topher Grace especially now I know that he could play the evil villain. Wicked! And let's not forget Bryce Dallas Howard who was hot in her blond mane--very far from her blind character in The Village or the chlorine-soaked creature in Lady in the Water.

Pirates Of The Carribbean: At World's End
Ahoy there, matey!
Wow! I mean, double-effing-wow! Director Gore Verbinski and producer Jerry Bruckheimer hit the prefect note for this final installment in their Pirates trilogy and mixed in just about every thing needed to make a blockbuster--action, adventure, fantasy, comedy, and oh, romance.
Keira Knightley was awesome once again as [Captain/King(?)] Elizabeth Swann. I must confess that I trooped to watch this because two hours or so to ogle Orland Bloom's Will Turner could definitely be a fixer-upper for any bad week. It was that and more. Orli's just too-too--too sexy, too hot, too damn sexy (worth to say that twice at the very least).
And I think that Johnny Depp deserves an Oscar win this time around for his superb performance of CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow. Hell, yeah! Nobody could've played the whacked-out pirate to perfection and Mr Depp did that in a way that it's hard to believe that Jack as being just a character. No one can certainly pull off making him look adorably cute trying to pull a ship on dry land.
Upside: Almost three hours of running time was quite enough time to cap off the entire saga. And I wasn't even surprised by the post-credits ending. I'm on to you, Mr Bruckheimer. (Just so you know, you didn't fool me one bit.)
Downside: See upside. Too much screentime to realize that Orli and Keira made for bad pirates. Baby-butt smooth skin just doesn't do it if you're supposed to be under the sun all day long, not to mention all that ocean air. But meh, don't mind me. LOL!

Fantastic 4: The Rise Of The Silver Surfer
I'm not one for comic books but I do enjoy its movie equivalents. I was kinda skeptical to see this since, as I've just seen Spiderman, the Silver Surfer just looked liked the Green Goblin in silver duds. On another note, I felt obliged to watch it on the big screen since I did watch the first one on it, too.
After Pirates' butt-numbing three-hour run, this seemed like a thirty-minute TV soap. But it was surprisingly good. Ioan Gruffud didn't look like the guy chasing puppies in 102 Dalmatians and Chris Evans didn't resemble at all like the stupid jock in Not Another Teen Movie. They've come a long way. Jessica Alba still looked good even if the blond hair wasn't really her and I was just thankful to see Michael Chiklis at least twice in the entire movie, to know that it was still him behind all that, uhm, rock.
But nobody can steal the thunder of the Silver Surfer (voiced by Laurence Fishburne) himself. He puts surfer dudes like Kelly Slater to shame and he makes me wish I knew how to skimboard at the very least.
Unlike the previous two movies here, this is definitely not the last part of the series (nor the last time we see Johnny in a towel, I hope). Dr Von Doom is obviously still alive and kicking although that thought doesn't worry me half as much as the thought of our planet about to be swallowed whole by some unknown cosmic force while I was doing something mundane, e.g. watching a movie or blogging.
*******
UNINTENTIONALLY MISSED: The Last Mimzy. I was quite intrigued by the trailer when I saw it but it only showed for one week and I didn't get the chance to see it. I still don't know if that was a good thing or what. So if anyone had seen the movie, your thoughts about it will definitely be appreciated.
INTENTIONALLY MISSED: Oceans' 13. I didn't really warm up to Ocean's 12 so I wasn't inclined to see this on the big screen. I guess I'll just watch this at home but there's no way I'm not gonna see it. I'm not ca-razy!!! We're talking Clooney, Pitt, Damon--and then there's that freaky Pacino guy this time around.
WILL NEVER MISS: Transformers; Ratatouille; Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix.
Flame on!

Labels:



2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ei kok, check out ds site: www.bbdo.com. choose the 3rd Pepsi commercial will u? hehehe.

Blogger Kookie said...

Will definitely do it. I'm sure it's all Becks-y. Hehehe! :P

Post a Comment

<< Home